I discussed yesterday that I quit my job and that I am already a rich person in terms of the value I have in my life, but that won’t pay for my food, shelter, and gym membership. I do have several months of living expenses in savings… I could probably go until 2011 if I really wanted, but I would rather have some part time income and not dip into the savings and take money out of retirement accounts.
I also actually like working, especially in the hospitality industry, because I get a kick out of meeting new people and getting social interaction. Basically I just need a job to pay the bills with while I focus on building other businesses, so I want something that could be fun!
From that angle I’m considering applying for 3 types of jobs:
- Bartender – I dream of being a bartender in an Irish pub and since I one day hope to own a Piano Bar, this will be useful experience.
- Server – Most likely fine dining as that’s my experience.
- Pizza Delivery Driver – They supply the moped and I get to make people’s days delivering them wonderful smelly tasty goodness. I can also compare notes with Deliver Away Debt, who’s delivering pizzas as a side job to eliminate his debt!
Each of these jobs involves serving things, which I seem to enjoy. I think that stems from wanting to help others. In these instances I’m helping people with their need for food or entertainment. Although I almost never consume the products that I’m serving such as pizza delivery, alcohol (well sometimes 😉 ), or fine dining, it’s still fun to meet people as they’re willing to pay me to do so. Each of these jobs are also attractive to me because:
- They can be worked in the evening hours.
- Hours are flexible so I can take off days I need without trouble.
- They don’t require undesired business travel.
- They involve physical activity so I’m not sitting on my a$$ all day.
- They can be fun (anything can be – it’s all about perspective).
- They’re easily replaceable.
- They pay decent considering their low barriers to entry ($12-$20 / hr depending).
Those are some very valuable traits to me, and I haven’t found too many other jobs that can fit that definition. What do you think? Any other ideas for a fun decent paying part time job?
As I begin the search tomorrow, I’ll share my resume ideas, how I target the search, and other tips I use to get the attention of a slave owner employer…
This may also turn into a short series about the steps needed to get a job and how to creatively do it… exciting stuff!