Earlier today I wrote that I quit my job because it wasn’t enjoyable to me. However, I’m still not at a level of full time online income so I need to support my frugal lifestyle somehow. On paper, I’m pretty darn poor at the moment, but I’ve still got a big ol smile on my face because I’m one of the richest poor people you’ll ever meet.
I am 100% convinced that frugality is power as I talked about in my article Living in Honolulu for Less Than $1000 a month. If I had a mortgage, car (I ride a bike), or other major expenses I wouldn’t be able to do whatever I wanted. So from that angle I need a job that can pay my bills of about $1,000 a month. This is freedom, and freedom feels spectacular!
Even with that low of expenses and income I would even go as far as saying I live a rich life. Investor Junkie wrote a great guest post about this on Financial Samurai titled: Stop Complainiang, You’re Already Rich! Here are some of the reasons I’m the richest poor person you’ll ever meet (and you can be just like me):
- I have unlimited books at my disposal thanks to the public library system
- I can watch TV online for free if I choose – I’m guilty of catching an episode of Family guy or It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia on Hulu. Bob over at Christian PF also has a full list of other free online TV services.
- I can educate myself on important topics such as climate change. I’m still learning, but I can investigate by watching documentaries such as this amazingly done one and research all advocates websites. ***Either way I highly recommend checking out the documentary I just linked to as it has phenomenal cinematography of our planet.
- I have unlimited free music at my fingertips – I can jump on youtube or pandora and jam out. This is what I’m listening to as I write this article
- I have the world at my fingertips via the internet. I can communicate with anyone I want and grow my brain learning about limitless subjects. I can read a classic like Thoreau’s Walden for free online, or explore Wikipedia for hours.
- I have a cell phone that lets me talk to anyone in the world I want
- I have the beach close by where I can catch some sun, go body boarding, or snorkel.
- The hotels around here put on live music that I go to when I want to get out, which is free.
- I still go to the gym every night which is something I love doing. This one isn’t free, but it’s about $1 a day.
- I have an amazing family that supports me in everything I do. They supported me yesterday when I told them that I’d be quitting my job and they supported me moving to Hawaii. My happiness is their interest.
- I have met a wide array of very interesting people over the past month and a half via this blog – that’d be you! I am simply in awe by the selflessness of other bloggers and those who’ve taken the time to comment on this site. Thank you!
Even if I make more money in the future, that’s just icing on the cake. I am confident that money will begin flowing into my life through the projects I’m working on, but even if it doesn’t I’m still rich. Being content with who you are today and realizing the blessings and gifts you’ve been given is the first step in becoming the person you want to be. The freedom that comes with this is amazing since you know that even if your business fails or you lose your job, you’ve got an amazing life still!
What you have today is everything you need to be who you want to be tomorrow.